Author Topic: Swift II modifications  (Read 15328 times)

Offline Paul K.

• RC South Member
  • Ensign
  • Approval Rating: 2
Swift II modifications
« on: January 03, 2009, 10:13:41 PM »
I've just purchased a Swift II. If you don't recognize the name, it is a flying wing made of EPP foam. I'm having trouble with the servo install. I don't see how the servo can opperate efficiently when the push rod is not at a 90[] degree angle to the elevator. I don't know if putting the servo out farther on the wing will through off the CG. Any helpful tips would be appreciated.
Paul
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 02:15:31 PM by Chuck Baker »
Paul

Offline Gene Bond

• RC South Member
  • Lieutenant
  • Approval Rating: 4
  • Crash Master
    • Gene's Plans
Re: Swift II modifications
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 02:58:25 PM »
Paul:

I've built 8 or 9 Swift II's so far. On evey one, I've used 5-6g servos and the stock arms and control rods. I set the rods directly in-line (parallel to the center joint). There have been no issues. There is enough play in the rods to allow the ends to swivel. Most wings are setup this way as well. I've built a dozen or so others.

I have seen this question posed on RCGroups as well. I don't know of anyone who's changed to a perpendicular rod scheme. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540977
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 05:27:20 PM by Chuck Baker »

Offline Chuck Baker

• Administrator
  • Captain
  • Approval Rating: 8
  • I just love to fly RC
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 06:00:39 PM »
I have seen this question posed on RCGroups as well. I don't know of anyone who's changed to a perpendicular rod scheme. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540977

Thanks Gene!

Paul, you'll find the discussion of the angled linkage starting with post 441 of the forum referenced above.

Chuck

Offline Paul K.

• RC South Member
  • Ensign
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 08:51:21 PM »
Thanks guys. I've seen the photos on the link, it looks good. I'll proceed as directed.
Paul
Paul

Offline Paul K.

• RC South Member
  • Ensign
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 09:52:49 AM »
Well I have completed my Swift II. I had to put in a larger battery to get it to balance. I ended up with a 3c 800 mah set in sideways to get it as far forward as possible. I can't wait for the weather to improve so that i can get it in the air.
Paul.
Paul