• Welcome to Indianapolis RC South.

Brian Taylor Corsair Build

Started by Richard Wright, October 24, 2006, 07:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Wright

Hey all,

I'm a newby to this board and I live in Mooresville, IN. I am on other forum boards but just found you guys. I know Chuck Baker from the Mt. Comfort Air Show so was glad to see you have a forum with people in my neck of the woods. I'm the one who built the display TF Corsair and was in the tent at the air show 2 years ago. Link to pictures here: www.putfile.com/rwright142

I'm researching my next project - the Brian Taylor 1/6 Corsair. I am about to order the accessories from Bob Holman because they may soon become hard to find. Does anyone have any planning tips? I have not decided on engine, retracts, servos, etc but wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks in advance!
I've never seen a flag burning at a gun show...

Pat

Hi Richard,

Glad to have you on the forums...  BTW, Nice corsair

Richard Wright

Chuck Baker

Quote from: Richard Wright on October 24, 2006, 07:12:08 AM
Hey all,

I'm a newby to this board and I live in Mooresville, IN. I am on other forum boards but just found you guys. I know Chuck Baker from the Mt. Comfort Air Show so was glad to see you have a forum with people in my neck of the woods. I'm the one who built the display TF Corsair and was in the tent at the air show 2 years ago. Link to pictures here: www.putfile.com/rwright142

I'm researching my next project - the Brian Taylor 1/6 Corsair. I am about to order the accessories from Bob Holman because they may soon become hard to find. Does anyone have any planning tips? I have not decided on engine, retracts, servos, etc but wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Richard,

Glad you found our website and posted!  :)

Would you believe I've been flying a Brian Taylor P-47 for several years now?  It was actually built by the late George Zang - an Eastside club member.  He stretched the wingspan to 84" to make it Giant Scale (IMAA), but it still flies great.  The extra wing area probably explains why it's such a floater.  I'm using a YS-120 four-stroke for power.  The plane weighs about 18-1/2 pounds and has flaps and retracts.  Believe it or not, the YS provides enough power to loop it from level flight - plenty for scale flying.  :)

Taking a quick look on the net, I see the BT Corsair spans 82", so it'll probably be about the same weight as my Jug.  So, you could probably get good results out of a larger 4-stroke or a suitable sized gasser.

Please keep us posted on your progress...
Chuck

Richard Wright

Hi Chuck. I'd love to see the P-47. That will be my next build as I really like their history. I sat in one that is hangared in Illinois and I got a lot of pictures and video that I will use to help me model it. That will be about 3 years down the road tho - hahaha

Thanks for the tip on the YS 120 - I'll keep that in mind. When I get things rolling I'll definitely post here too.

Richard

Chuck Baker

Richard,

The P-47 has a lot of miles on it and is starting to show its age.

I've attached a picture taken at the 2005 Mint Julep scale meet down in Rough River, Kentucky by my friend Bob Braham.  It was taken just after takeoff and the gear have already started to retract.  If you look closely, you can see exhaust puffs from the YS-120.

Chuck

Richard Wright

***  Chuck - Sweet looking Jug!  ***
Here are a couple of the full size I want to model. Maybe in a few years... ;)

Chuck Baker

You look like you're having WAY TOO MUCH FUN sitting in that cockpit!  :)

That one looks like it could be Zemke's or Gabreski's mount.

Chuck

Richard Wright

This one is in tribute of the one flown by Col. David Schilling (WW II P47 Ace - 22.5 air victories) CO 56th FG. P-47D #226641.

Here's a few more pictures.