• Welcome to Indianapolis RC South.

E-Flite Plug-n-Play - Mini Ultra Stick

Started by Chuck Baker, August 12, 2006, 08:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Baker

E-Flite has recently come out with a new concept called Plug-n-Play.  Basically they are electric ARFs that come with the following items already installed and connected:

- Servos
- Electric Motor
- Speed Control

The only thing you need to provide is a receiver and an appropriate battery pack to get it in the air!

I was asked to test fly a Mini Ultra Stick this past weekend and it flew very well.  It flew very much as I expected it would - like my Three Dee 400.  It slowed down very nicely for landing - as you would expect a Stick to do.

I was pleased that E-Flite selected a propulsion system with plenty of power.  This is contrary to e-powered planes of the past where manufacturers would supply motors that would barely do the job.

If I didn't already have my Three Dee 400, I'd be VERY tempted to get one for myself!  :)

For more info, check out the info on the Horizon website:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFL2350

Percyflyer

I agree with Chuck. I bought one of these and was pleasantly surprised at the performance. It flew great, just like a Stik!!! I highly recommend either version.
steve p

Chuck Baker

Guy came in the shop yesterday with one of these, the ARF only, not the plug-n-play.  Was complaining about lack of power.  He had switched to the E-Flite 400 inrunner, which should have provided ample power.

Turns out that the gear mesh was way too tight between the pinion and spur gears.  Once we loosened that up, and installed a stiffer prop, it seemed to run much better.

For those that may not know, to set the gear mesh, slip a piece of paper between the gears before pressing them together, then tighten the motor into place.  Rotate the paper from between the gears and you should be rewarded with a nice gear mesh.  If you hold one gear and rotate the other, there should be just a tiny amount of play.  Too much and you run the risk of stripping teeth.  Too little and you rob power to the prop.

Chuck