• Welcome to Indianapolis RC South.

First Plane

Started by All Around Pilot, November 20, 2005, 10:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

All Around Pilot

Just to get the posts going... :D

A plane that I believe is a great first training airplane is the Sig Kadet LT-40. I would say that there are at least a dozen in our club(Indy RC South). It is amazingly simple to build and fly. So if anyone reading this is thinking of getting in RC, this plane is the way to go. ;)

lownslo

I totally agree. My LT40 came after my training was finished.  I used it in the 2004  City Wide and "dumb thumbed it", practicing for the 2005 City Wide. >:(  I put it on the shelf and worked on it this winter.  As you can see the LT has had many modifications.  We are moving to the south side soon and I will again be joining RC South.  This is the field where I learned to fly 6 years ago. (Well...kind of learned. ;D)  After last year I probably should retrain!!!  ... lownslo
.....Bob

ColonelG

I agree with both of you.  I built my LT 40 from the kit so that I could make some mods to it also.  I don't care for trik gear and made mine with "conventional gear".  Great trainer.  The only complaint I had with it was that on very calm days it could be difficult to get it down and stopped on the runway, it would float forever!  I don't think that I ever stalled this aircraft unintentionally.  The size of this aircraft also makes it easy to see.  Recommend using #67 rubber bands vice #64's due to the long wing cord on this airplane.  The #67's are larger/thicker, easier to put on and will last a lot longer than the skinny little #64's.  Speaking of rubber bands, the one thing I wish I had done when building my LT40 kit was to convert the wing to bolt-on.   Knock on wood, mine has been flying for over two years and has had only an occasional forced landing on top of the corn fields.

Chuck Baker

I'll also recommend the Kadet LT-40.
It is a very good plane for both beginners and seasoned veterans.

I've been flying for nearly 20 years, and I'm actually working on a Kadet LT-40 for myself!
I'm adding attachment points for floats so I can do a bit of float flying - either on water or snow.  :)

Chuck

All Around Pilot

Hey Chuck, I was wanting to put some floats on my Kadet and was wondering how I would go about doing that.

altuck

Warning-Long Message!
I have what I believe to be the 1st LT-40 to be flown at the Indy RC South field.It has served me well for 5 or 6 yr. It has been flown off water, w/floats, here in IN and at a lake in NC.The floats have worked well on snow too. This Kadet, powered by a ST 51, has been fitted with a glider release to haul 2 meter sailplanes up to altitude. Also has hauled styrofoam "combat" gliders up at our ADA event. Many times I have put it on a buddy box and given visitors their first taste of RC flying. It has been cracked, broken, cartwheeled, and mid-air'ed. But it still is the plane that I love to fly. The only time it disappointed was on the 1st flight. It floated so well that I thought I would not be able to land it! It is steady and controllable (use the rudder too) at very low speeds. I've used it at fun flys and once held the high score at the City Wide event.
     When I am asked about a 1st plane, I don't hesitate to recommend the LT-40. I liked mine so well that I now have 2 of them.
altuck

Nickalai Badanov

I suggest the RTF Hobbico Nexstar.

Chuck Baker

Quote from: All Around Pilot on February 20, 2006, 05:23:04 PM
Hey Chuck, I was wanting to put some floats on my Kadet and was wondering how I would go about doing that.

Blake,

I finally brought my new Kadet LT-40 on floats to the meeting so you could take a look at it, but alas, you weren't there.
Haven't test flown it yet, but will probably fly it off of land (with wheels) first.

Chuck

All Around Pilot

Yeah, it was 7:50 when I realized that I forgot about the meeting. Darn it!

Chuck Baker

Finally got to test fly the Kadet LT-40 with the floats - it did very well.

Of course I had to borrow Al Tucker's ST-51 since mine wasn't running right.  :)

(see the attached pix)