• Welcome to Indianapolis RC South.

Bartholomew Co RC Pylon Races - various Sat @ 9am, Columbus, IN

Started by Chuck Baker, February 06, 2012, 12:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Chuck Baker

Ken Erickson of the Bartholomew Co RC Club has organized a series of sport pylon races with inexpensive planes/engines.

Here's the 2012 racing schedule - All on Saturday mornings:

May 19th
June 2nd
June 23rd
July 14th
August 4th
August 25th
September 15th
October 6th
October 27th

They run only the following planes:
LA Racer 40 - http://www.rcpro.org/html/rules/club_40/planes/wm_la_racer_40.htm
Sky Raider Mach II - http://www.rcpro.org/html/rules/club_40/planes/wm_skyraider_mach_ii.htm

The following non-BB, air-bleed carb engines are legal:
OS Max 40 FP, 40 LA, 46 LA
Magnum 40 GP
Thunder Tiger 42 GP
Tower Hobbies 40

To see the complete rules, download them from here: http://www.rcpro.org/html/rules/club_40/rules.htm

If you can't find an engine, Ken has several you can choose from for only $30.00 plus tax.

If you have any questions, you can reach Ken at one of the following:
Email:  ken_erickson@comcast.net
Home: 812-418-8124
Cell:    812-603-8190

The BCRCF field is located East of Columbus, IN
You can find directions on their website - http://www.bcrcfliers.org/id4.html

Chuck Baker

Race Fans
This Saturday, 5/19 at the Columbus RC flying field.
Setup will start at 8:00 AM.
Pilot registration will start at 9:00.
Racing will start at 10:00.
We will have hot dogs, chips and soda for $2
Come on out and Join the fun.

Chuck Baker

Recent email from Ken Erickson:
------------------------------

We will have:  Yes, Racing!!  (on Sat 6/2)

Setup starts at 8:00.  After setup, there can be practice and some open flying on the North (East-West) Landing runway.

Pilot registration starts at 9:00.  Pilot meeting and end of pre-race flying is at 9:45.  First heat then follows.

Hot Dogs, $1.00.  Sodas, $0.50.  Chips, $0.50.

All y'all come out now, heah?

Thanks,

Ken Erickson
ken_erickson@comcast.net

Chuck Baker

Latest from Ken Erickson:
------------------------

Gents,

Let's welcome to our number three new people, members of the Seymour club,  Dennis Wagonner, Jason Hamilton and Roger Whitsett.  They have Sky Raiders and are anxious to start racing.  It is intended that, later this summer, one of the races will be at the Seymour RC Field.   Next year probably 2 or so races there.

Our next race is Saturday, June 23rd.  Please, as many of you as possible come.  We will be using the Lap counting and Timing program and the NMPRA matrixing and scoring program.  They are both something to see in action.

Current Racing schedule is:

June 23rd            Club 40 Sport     Columbus
July 14th             Club 40 Sport     Columbus
August 4th           Club 40 Sport     Columbus
August 25th         Club 40 (BB)       Monroe County Club
One of the next two will be at the Seymour Field
September 14th    Club 40 Sport
October 6th         Club 40 Sport
And, weather permitting,
October 27th       Club 40 Sport     Probably Columbus

On August 25th at Monroe County, we will be welcome to use our regular engines.

News Flash:  Tim just informed me that he will not be able to race with us on June 23rd as he will be in KS at a USRA Giant Scale Race.  That means there will be someone new as the top point getter at that race!!! 

Bring a friend with you, we need more guys to get interested.

Some pictures from 6/2 for your edification.

Ken

Chuck Baker

(rest of the 6/2 photos)

Chuck Baker

Race flyer has been updated...

Chuck Baker

Results of 8/4 race by Ken Erickson:
----------------------------------

Guys,

We had a good race last Saturday.  Attached is the results sheet.

The program does not want to give any points to one who does not complete the 10 laps.  I prefer to use the NASCAR system, he who crashes first gets last place and only one point.  To manipulate the program, I give anyone who did not finish a time over 4:00 minutes.  A zero time means they either did not start or cut out.

Reply or phone me if you have any questions.

The race on August 25th is at Monroe County RC Club.  The field is just North of Bloomington.  The flyer, with their website will be sent out soon. 

Ken

Chuck Baker

Chuck Baker

Results of the 8/25 race at Monroe County...  (by Ken Erickson)

Charlie and I went over to the Monroe County club for the race last Saturday.  This time we actually got a picture before the race.

The Monroe County guys were using their TT .40 Pro engines and Charlie and I were using the "Sport Class" engines.  I think we both had TT .42 GPs.  We used the handicap system originated by Bob Petrinec in Texas.  The Ball-Bearing engines fly 10 laps while the bushing engines fly 8.

The Heat Sheet is attached.  Now would be a good time to print it and see the results of each heat.

In the first heat, Clint made his 10 laps just before Charlie did his 8.  My 8 laps were done in 1:46.  Not a good as "The King of the River" did for 10 in 2006.

Heat #2 shows Clint with a faster time that Tim, but Tim did cross the line first.   Charlie was third, but there is no time.

In heat 3, we have another instance of how stop watches work.  Clint finished first followed by Tim and then Ken got in his 8 laps.

Matt cut twice in heat 4.  Charlie had no time.  Ken finished first.

I don't remember why Clint had no time for heat 6.  Matt got 1st place and Charlie second.

There was a break after heat 6.  It was decided that Ken was to do 9 laps for the rest of the day.

Heat 7 was Tim, Ken and Charlie in that order.

It was Clint's turn to have two cuts when we flew heat 8.  Matt had no time, but was second.  (We use NASCAR scoring)  Ken finished his 9 laps without incident and got 3 points.

Check those times for heat 9.  Clint and Tim really went at it.  Charlie was out as he was missing the screws that hold the carburetor in place.

Heat 10 saw Tim finish first, Mat second and Ken was penalized for trying to harvest the soybeans.

It was a great day.

Chuck Baker

Chuck Baker

A flyer for the race scheduled for October 27 is attached.  It will probably be cool that day.

We need to start thinking about the schedule for next year.  Monroe County members talk with Tim Sparks.  Southern Indiana Flying Eagles members talk with Justin Drake.  Bartholomew County members talk with me.

I have airplanes and the Futaba FASST compatible receivers have arrived.

Ken
ken_erickson@comcast.net